Friday, January 23, 2009

Miscellaneous thoughts - Inauguration edition

-------------------------------------
Inauguration day marked Myles' fourteen-month birthday.
-------------------------------------
If you want to know who paid for the inauguration, look here at the list of "big donors." Also know that many many people donated $5 or $10 here or there to make it possible. Now...if only we could harness that giving spirit for something truly worthwhile...

Hey! I know! How about one of my 52 good causes for 2009.

I LOVE this...
There are some who question the scale of our ambitions—who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short. For they have forgotten what this country has already done; what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose, and necessity to courage.
-------------------------------------
As to the declaring of an emergency in order to free federal money for security for the inauguration...let's be practical. This inauguration is going to happen and millions of people are going to attend (you can't stop them). "District of Columbia Mayor Adrian M. Fenty requested the emergency declaration on Jan. 7 because he decided that the crowds expected for the nation's 56th presidential inauguration would exceed the city's ability to protect the public." Further, the money is available for emergency response measures to protect the public health and safety...you know...police...fire...EMS. It doesn't mean that money is spent...it means it's available if those measures are necessary. I know it's hard to imagine declaring an emergency in advance, but it can be done...and it should be done (you can predict hurricanes, blizzards, etc). This is not to protect either the incoming or outgoing President...but to protect the public. (From the looks of things, that money won't be spent. It seems, to my untrained eye, that there were fewer people in attendance than anticipated.)
-------------------------------------
For me, the only disappointing thing about the inauguration was that I didn't get to watch it with Sam. But we had a nice chat about it and he is very excited to see what Barack Obama can do for the country (plus he has to learn to spell his name for this week's spelling test).
-------------------------------------
Too many marching bands can ruin a good parade.
-------------------------------------
The day dress...what did ya think? I didn't care for it myself. And I really didn't like the necklace.

The evening gown...what did ya think? I didn't care for this one either.

Both dresses just seemed...I don't know...frumpy.
-------------------------------------
Chief Justice Roberts had one job to do all day...and he flubbed it. oy!

But I LOVED the do-over at the advice of legal counsel. Only an attorney...lol!
-------------------------------------
If one more person says there was too much inauguration coverage, I think I'm going to scream. Go to Amazon.com...type in a search for inauguration DVD. It's ALWAYS been this way (does anyone really want to see Harding's inauguration?). Just because you're annoyed with it or wish it was for a different person does not (and should not) lessen the celebration of the day. We haven't had much to celebrate as a country lately...maybe that's why it feels so foreign to so many. And yeah...I'm celebrating the baby steps our country is making with this historic inauguration.
-------------------------------------
I'm told THE hat...you know the one I'm talking about...was designed by Mr. Song Millinery. My question is...with all those great choices...why THAT one?
-------------------------------------
In the morning, before having coffee at the White House, soon-to-be first lady Michelle Obama handed Laura Bush a present. Inside, was a leather-bound journal inscribed with a quote from western fiction writer Louis L'Amour: "There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning." Also in the gift box was a pen engraved with Tuesday's date, for Mrs. Bush to begin her memoirs, according to Mrs. Obama's spokeswoman Katie McCormick Lelyveld.
Yay ladies! I can't wait to read what you both will write some day!

(I still don't know what the silver platter to GWB was about. I will not rest until I find out though, I promise you that.)
-------------------------------------

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it. Your thoughts are as random and out of order as mine. I loved the poem the poem lady wrote, just hated her delivery. Someone in our house stated, "Is she a robot?" :) I loved Barack's speech - just don't have much faith in politicians to actually believe all he says will come to pass. :(

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...