Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

I just watched a special replay of what has commonly become known as the "I Have a Dream" speech and, as often happens when I revisit "old favorites," was struck by something new. This time it was the inclusiveness of the last lines.

And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring -- when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children -- black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics -- will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: "Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!


There has been a lot of talk this week about "the realization of Dr. King's dream." While I can fully recognize the great strides we have made as a country and appreciate the opportunity to celebrate our achievements, I think we need to be careful of a premature declaration that Dr. King's dream has been fully achieved. Enjoy this moment in history...but keep dreaming big dreams and continue working for a better tomorrow for everyone around the world.

1 comment:

Hennifer said...

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! So well said. I'm so afraid everyone things we are "done"

I will never stop dreaming!

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...