Friday, June 06, 2008

Secret Pal 12!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? My recent favorite is anything with bamboo in it. I also enjoy alpaca and, of course, silk. I do NOT like wool because I'm allergic. It kind of takes the fun out of stitching if I turn into an itchy strawberry who sneezes.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a wicker hamper that I use at home and a needle roll for travel (it came with the Mary Poppins style sewing bag a friend gave me).

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I am a beginning knitter and an advanced crocheter. My mom introduced me many moons ago and I've been doing it off and on ever since.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Amazon - yes

5. What's your favorite scent?
Sweet and/or homey scents...vanilla, cinnamon, mint

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. :o)

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I do not spin. I sew and scrapbook, though I haven't had time to do either lately.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Country music mostly.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
LOVE purples. Not a fan of neon colors.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married, 14 years this August. Two living children...Sam is 6 and Myles is 6 months. Two stillborn children (all of my children inspire me daily). Two horses, five dogs, two cats and two fish.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves, hats and mittens. I can't stand ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I like to knit straight line items...scarves, blankets, and the like. I like to crochet just about anything. I get a lot of pleasure out of stitching gifts for other people. I really enjoy stitching for charity as well...preemies and stillborn babies mainly.

13. What are you knitting right now?
An overdue baby blanket for a friends baby. I'm ashamed to admit she might get it by the time he's one year old. I'm also crocheting a granny-square blanket for a friend (been working on it for two years now). With any luck, it will end up being a housewarming present for her in her new house.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
LOVE it!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I prefer straight, but I think that might just be because I've got only one pair of crappy plastic circulars. I really like my one pair of bamboo knitting needles and I would LOVE to have Lacis ebony or rosewood crochet hooks.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Neither.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Probably the two-year old granny-square blanket. I typically do projects from start to finish...but the repetition in this one is killing me.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas and my birthday are tied...though I guess my birthday isn't really a holiday, is it?

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides yarn? Nope.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I can't really think of anything...but I haven't looked in a while. I really really really LOVE handpainted/hand-dyed yarns...but it's hard to find many that aren't wool. I don't have any subscriptions, but would love Interweave Crochet.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'd like to learn intarsia, but I think that's way beyond my skill level at this point.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
No, I'm not a sock knitter. The idea of more than two knitting needles scares me.
I wear a ladies size 10 shoe.

23. When is your birthday?
2/8

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
Yes! My ID is Kate94651

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...