Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day 08

We shared a look when the visibly pregnant woman walked by...two small children bouncing around her...cigarette in her hand. I glanced at him and saw the hurt in his eyes. In one split second we both KNEW what the other was thinking. "I know...can you believe THAT?...some people don't have a clue...I want to run up and shake her and yell about our two dead babies and how incredibly lucky she is...how incredibly SELFISH and STUPID she is...but let's not talk about it ok?...let's leave it alone for today...we all need a break from the hurt today."

This shared perspective...shared pain...it's always there. Even on Father's Day at the zoo with the two beautiful boys we love more than anything in this world. ESPECIALLY on Father's Day with our two beautiful boys.

It was a glorious day for which there are happy memories that will always make us smile...and that one moment when all the pain of our world was unleashed and simultaneously stuffed back into its cage...growling and snarling and taunting us with gnashing teeth...all within that one brief glance between our two wounded souls. One second shared and deliberately passed for the sake of some peace.

1 comment:

niobe said...

You know, I've been told that smoking actually lowers the risk of preeclampsia. So now I'm feeling guilty because I didn't smoke during my pregnancy.

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...