Monday, April 25, 2005

Memories in the leaves

Today I was noting, as I hurried by on my way to work, that the flowering bushes near my driveway are sprouting their new green leaves. Why is this worth noting? During my first pregnancy, it was the weekend that these bushes were in full bloom with their wonderfully scented white flowers that I had my one and only pregnancy picture taken. A few days later, Samuel Charles was born. I truly can't remember what my life was like before that picture was taken. It seems such a miracle, blooming among the flowers on that beautiful spring day.

It's a thought that takes my breath away now because my due date is virtually the same this time. I wonder if I will see the flowers before Alex is born or after. The appearance of the leaves is a visual reminder that time is ticking toward this amazing event. And despite my lack of control over most things in my life at this point, this is one that I relish and enjoy every single day. Sure, I could do without the aches and pains...but the leaves are here...and soon the flowers and Alex will be too.

Those leaves made me smile this morning. And looking at Sam I smile too. How did I get so lucky as to be able to participate in such a miracle?

1 comment:

Catherine said...

The flowers came after Alex, and lasted only a short while before a thunderstorm destroyed their beauty. Totally appropriate, I think.

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...