Friday, February 13, 2009

Miscellaneous thoughts

-------------------------------------------
At first I thought I had mysteriously come down with a weird case of eczema (never had it before in my life). But now I think I am allergic to my aluminum crochet hooks and yarn needles. When I spend a lot of time with either of these tools on my latest project, my hand breaks out in an extremely itchy rash wherever the hook/needle rests. I got a similar rash from a ring with an unknown metal content. I don't know...maybe it is just a weird case of eczema.
-------------------------------------------
A couple years ago we bought a used car. We have spent the last two years replacing almost every part in it. Does that mean we now have a new car?
-------------------------------------------
My colleague had her baby on Wednesday...weighed 6 pounds 12 ounces, 19 ½ inches. Mother and daughter are doing fine. It's now Friday and we still have not seen pictures.

A colleague in the criminal prosecution division also had a baby. Actually, his significant other had his baby. Bailey Paige was born on February 2, 2009 at 11:52 p.m. She weighed in at 7 lbs. 1.6 ounces and was 20 ½ inches long. And while we didn't even know (a) there was a significant other or (b) she was pregnant, they all stopped by the office the other day and I have already had the chance to HOLD that beautiful baby girl. I can't believe Myles was ever that little.
-------------------------------------------
I will have pictures of crochet projects soon. I promise. Even if you're not...I'm so excited!
-------------------------------------------
My cousin emailed me after reading what I blogged about Grandma's mug on my birthday.

As my parents (aunt N and uncle L) and Aunt P were going through the house last fall, they continued to find more and more mugs, especially in the closets upstairs. The mugs in the cabinet - not enough close to half of all that there really were in the house. They even found a box where all the mugs were carefully wrapped for storage in newspapers...from 1992!! I never knew how many there really were. (neither did I)

Also, a lot of the little paper tags were added more recently (you were lucky to find one with the actual Christmas tag in it). I'm not sure when it started, but Grandma made a list of all the mugs and dishes etc in the house over the last few years when she could still remember them. My mom (aunt N) typed up the list a couple years ago - well over 500 mugs with notes on when they got, who/where it was from, and what it looked like (enough to identify it). Mom (aunt N) has been printing off the little tags as they went through all the boxes. I liked going through the antique dishes (in the cabinets between the living room areas) - some were from Great-Great-Grandma F, others still had the $2 garage sale tag on them. It was fun.

In case you're wondering what might be happening to the "unclaimed" mugs (there's probably 100 or so of them still in my parents basement) and other random items - mom's planning a garage sale this spring. Dad (uncle L) keeps saying that anyone who comes in gets a free mug ... make a purchase - you get two! Should be interesting.


Anybody want a mug???
-------------------------------------------
Whatever else you can say about the state of Ohio...they refund your tax money FAST. I just filed on Saturday and the money was deposited today! Woo Hoo!
-------------------------------------------
When people say they are frightened of what government has become (or is becoming), I wish they would have to spend a day dealing with what I have to deal with...or what my criminal prosecution colleagues have to deal with...or what ANY public servant has to deal with on a daily basis. Then maybe they might change their tune. Maybe. I just wish everyone would know...we are trying our best to work with what you give us to make our communities better...and we are not your enemy.
-------------------------------------------
This is disappointing.
-------------------------------------------
The Congressional Budget Office has reviewed the conference agreement for H.R. 1, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, as posted on the Web site of the House Committee on Rules. We have enclosed two tables with this letter: one that summarizes the estimated budgetary impacts of the legislation and another, more detailed table that shows the budgetary effects by title. Combining both spending and revenue effects, CBO estimates that enacting the conference agreement for H.R. 1 would increase federal budget deficits by $185 billion over the remaining
months of fiscal year 2009, by $399 billion in 2010, by $134 billion in 2011, and by $787 billion over the 2009-2019 period.


It took us years to get in this mess (I'd guess about eight)...so I'm not expecting a perfect solution in the first month of a new administration...but I have a hard time believing this is the best we can do. My sister is a tax accountant...maybe we ought to let her give it a try. What do ya think sis?
-------------------------------------------
To those people who say they WANTED to read the economic stimulus bill but were unable to because the online version was too difficult to download...I call bull$#@!. But I'm cynical like that. :o)
-------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Kathy McC said...

I am so tired of listening to the complaining about this stimulus bill and how our grandchildren are going to have to pay it back. I mean, hell, the last administration has already set out grandchildren up for this.

When I saw that you got your refund, I checked my bank and lo and behold, I got mine too! Yay for e-filing!

I get weird reactions to cheap rings on my fingers that look like eczema and itch like crazy. I bet it's the needles.

Hope you had a great birthday!

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...