Friday, February 06, 2009

Miscellaneous thoughts

--------------------------------------
Much has been made of tax errors made by Tom Daschle and Tim Geithner.

I have to carefully analyze what I think on these because one of my biggest clients is the county Health Department. I didn't know I needed a plumbing inspection after my home renovation. We all make mistakes that maybe we shouldn't. Now...if you want to make hay out of the potential conflicts Daschle would bring to the job, I'm with you on that.
--------------------------------------
The link for this story is feds_padding_payrolls. I think that sums up the public's view of those of us who work in public service. But I just wish someone would take a moment and not spew such ill-though crap (and call it journalism).

I know a lot of private companies are "shedding jobs," but I have to wonder if that is because they don't have the money or if that is because they just want the money they do have to go to their CEOs and shareholders. See...where I work...if I get laid off it's because there is NO money...not because the money has been re-routed to someone who wants a European vacation this year. Further, if the guy at Microsoft Corp., Pfizer, Caterpillar, or Home Depot, is laid off, those companies are going to continue on without a problem. If I get laid off, that means YOU, the public, will have no service from this office (I'm one of two overworked attorneys in this particular division of this office...there is no way my colleague can pick up my workload plus her own).

Does the public really not see/comprehend the difference?

Padding the payroll? Not even close.
--------------------------------------
Octuplets: I have seen such anger and hatred directed at this woman and her family during the past week or so that it makes me very sad. I wish them well in life.
--------------------------------------
Michael Phelps is an idiot.
--------------------------------------
Kudos to Pedigree for their dog adoption ad during the Super Bowl!
--------------------------------------
You had a bit of a scare when baby wouldn't move for the Non-Stress Test (NST). And you still think the NST's are a waste of time?

"Better safe than sorry."

I actually said it.

And I didn't immediately regret it.

But I wanted to hit her in the face when she replied, "I KNOW...but..."

I wanted to scream.

I wanted...I WANT...her to understand that the unthinkable CAN happen! You're not immune just because they think they are. If your doctor thinks you need NST's, then you probably should shut the hell up and have the damn NST's.

And I want her to shut the hell up and realize that I can not bear to hear her whine about THIS. She needs to find someone else to whine to about THIS. Of all the things I can handle, almost four years later, THIS is not one of them.

Please.
--------------------------------------
I'm realizing I'm still not nearly as "back to normal" as I thought I was.
--------------------------------------
House, episode 44, Forever - should come with a warning for the deadbabymama viewers. It's the next day and I still can't shake it.

Fine! Go on in there and tell her that every day is a blessing! "So you killed your baby! Shake it off, think positive! At least you're alive!"... Hmm. Kinda hard to sell when you don't believe it, huh? And you never believed it. You just wanted all that crap you went through to mean something, well it didn't mean anything, it never does! Welcome back.

Here's my advice...avoid this episode.
--------------------------------------
Sam and I have fun listening in on CB conversations we can hear on his Go Diego Go walkie talkies. Would it be shameful of me to ask for walkie talkies for my birthday? Not the cheap toy ones...but the ones you can get at Radio Shack for a few bucks.
--------------------------------------
$1 can provide clean drinking water to a child for 40 days...or 40 children for one day.

I have volunteered for UNICEF's Tap Project. I was very excited to find a full volunteer packet on my doorstep Wednesday afternoon...very professional and polished thanks to Turner Broadcasting's sponsorship. I can't wait to see what, if anything, I can do with this.

I've also committed to volunteering for Friends of WomenSafe, Inc. They are strictly a fundraising organization for the benefit of WomenSafe, the emergency shelter and support services provider for domestic violence victims in Northeast Ohio. I have previously done some fundraising for a couple different local organizations, but had to leave those positions for various reasons. I am very excited to get back into it.

And keep your fingers crossed...it looks like I just might be the newest member of the Board of Directors of my county's Animal Protective League. It is a challenge I am ready to take on.
--------------------------------------
Country music is wholly inappropriate for family listening these days.

Artist: Joey And Rory
Song: Cheater Cheater

I won't even type the lyrics here, I'm that disgusted.
--------------------------------------

1 comment:

Hennifer said...

I always love your miscellaneous thoughts... you are a woman of varied interests. I commend you for reaching out to do so much for as many as you can 2 and 4 legged alike :-)

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...