Monday, June 04, 2007

There is no privacy anymore

The question was innocent enough for an optometrist to ask, "Are you currently taking any medications?"

Me: "An occasional Zyrtec for seasonal allergies."

(silence while Dr. writes notes)

Me: "Oh, and Lovenox...it's a blood thinner."

Dr.: (quizzical look on face) "What on earth are you on a blood thinner for? Were you getting clots?"

Me: "No...uh...pregnancy...uh...prophylactic dose...uh..."

Dr: "Oh, ok. I've never heard of Lovenox before. If I had to guess, I would have guessed it was an antibiotic of some sort. I'll have to look that one up. So you are pregnant now?"

Me: "Yes...for now."

On to eye exam.

After eye exam, I'm in the frame room choosing my new eyeglass frames when the tech comes in (who I know from work)...

"Catherine! How ARE you? Why are you on Lovenox?"

Good grief! So I had to tell HER too. She was asking because she had her own (non-pregnancy) medical situation recently where she had to take Lovenox and she was genuinely concerned for me (she is a very nice lady).

But still...telling two people in one day...when I still practically choke on the words.

7 comments:

Lori said...

Oh, that does sound awful, and uncomfortable, and all of that! It's exactly why I never went back to the same dentist after losing my twins. I knew I would have to tell the "story" more than once. No thanks.

*Darcie* said...

Sorry it was such a crappy time! But just think of it as 2 less people you have to tell next time!! =)

Athena said...

its sounds like you did well though! Sorry going to the eye doc is an uncomfortable experience! I know when I went to mine after Alex died, they all knew I was pregnant before and I had to tell them. Ya know they were all gushy, wanted to know how the baby was, yadda yadda. I hate looking at peoples horrified faces when I tell them. You know, now when I go in for my contacts they don't know what to say. I hate that. You have it out now and don't have to tell them again!

Hows the ever-so-pleasant morning sickness going? I know it can bite you in the you-know-what!

Windfall Woman said...

I'm praying for you.

GLouise said...

There IS no privacy any more! It sounds like you handled it very well though...Ugg.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for awhile and this post keeps popping back into my head. I've lost 4 pregnancies, the last two at 20 and 22 weeks respectively. Everyone knew I was pregnant both times so I had to go through the process of telling everyone. I know it isn't fun. But I'm thinking, maybe try not to choke on the words. I think that if we try again and I have to take a trunk full of medications to carry the baby to term that I wouldn't mind taking out an ad in the paper. Embrace this pregnancy and it's prescriptions. Take care.

Mindi said...

Has no one heard of HIPPA for pete's sake? I hope you were at least alone when you had to do the explaining to everyone. Sheesh.

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...