Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Time capsule

Greetings from your past. In the fall of 2005, you agreed to receive this message, which has been preserved for a year in the Forbes.com E-Mail Time Capsule. For more details, visit http://www.forbes.com/capsule

Here is the text of your message:

Steve:

I'm sending this on November 21, 2005...during the worst year of our lives. I wanted to memorialize this year somehow...while letting it go at the same time. Does that make sense?

During this year, we have been at the happiest and the saddest we have ever been. I'm so grateful to you for both. It is always a pleasure to share the happy times with you. To smile and laugh and love as though the world is perfect. And without you, I never would have had Sam or Alex to love. You have given me the greatest gift that anyone could ever have given me. You love me...and I love you and our boys.

But during the darkest hours, I am even more grateful that you are by my side. Without you I could never have made it through losing Alex. You stood by me and held me up when I felt like I was literally going to fall apart. You never uttered a single unkind word. Your unfailing love and support has been an amazing thing to receive. I will never be able to appropriately thank you.

I hope that by the time you receive this email we will have enjoyed more happiness with each other...with Sam...and with another new baby. I hope that we will have grown even stronger together through happiness and not more sadness. I hope that when you read this you are as much in love with me as I am with you today.

I know that the future is uncertain. After this year, I even hesitate to send an email like this...because I know there is always a possibility that either you or I will not even be alive one year from now. But I'm choosing today to live with a little bit of faith.

I look forward to many many years with you and our children. We will always miss our Alex...but I hope that we continue to find happiness in our lives...for however long we have each other and breath in our bodies.

I love you.

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...