Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I appreciate the kindness

There was just a moment of hesitation, just a brief pause. Most people wouldn't have noticed it. But me...with my guard up all the time to protect me against the world...I noticed it.

"Todd is home. I guess his wife...[pause]...is due to deliver any day."

In that brief moment in time, I could almost hear him thinking, "Where do I go from here? How do I finish this sentence? Have I said the wrong thing? Have I unintentionally caused pain?"

In less time than it takes to blink, I learned the depths of your kindness. I discovered the love you hold in your heart...the empathy for others.

In a second, the anger at insensitivity was washed away and replaced with a respect for you...a wish that I learn from your example.

All it took was a pause...a hesitation...here and gone faster than most would recognize.

Thank you. My day is just a bit brighter because you paused.

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...