Thursday, December 29, 2005

Minus two points

I'm not sure who loses points on this one...my co-worker in the neighboring office (whose wife was fired) or me?

I asked if they were all set with baby stuff or if they needed anything. He said they still didn't have a crib, but he thought they had everything else...he would ask. I open my big fat mouth and say, "Well, let me know, because we have all this baby stuff just *sitting around*." oy! I could almost see him physically recoil in horror at the thought of using items intended for a dead baby.

To his credit, he looked like he wanted to cry and said honestly, "God that sucks. I just don't know if I could make it through what you've been through. It makes everything else seem trivial."

To my credit, I didn't burst into tears in front of him.

2 comments:

the ockers said...

I have done the exact same thing offering baby items to preggers women after losing Rainer in March. I also had TWO local close friends deliver healthy big boys in the same month. One was in the same hospital as me (same L&D floor) 2 days later. I have given them onesies that I had bought for my baby. They took them happily but I also had the senario where you can visably see another persons discomfort level rise through the roof at the thought of a dead baby's things. Don't beat yourself up over it. You were trying to be helpful and considerate. and you didn't cry infront of him. It's the holidays for F's sake. everyone's a little toey at this time of year. And wishing you a wonderful new yaer that kicks the butt of 2005.

Penultimatina said...

Kate, maybe he was just overwhelmed by your loss in general, not your offer. Are people really that superstitious? Damn...

::hugs::