Saturday, September 10, 2005

My fascination with flying things

Tonight, while the sun was setting and casting shadows across the yard, Sam and I played in the sandbox. Actually, Sam played in the sandbox and I sat nearby in a lawnchair uttering supportive mommy comments like, "Good job," or, "Oh really?"

Sam was looking around the yard when something caught his eye and he gasped, "Mommy, look! It's a beautiful dragonfly."

I rolled my eyes and sighed, "Sam, it's not a dragonfly, it's too dark and cold for dragonflies."

And then it zipped right past my face.

Sure enough, a beautiful dragonfly.

I said, "Sam, you're right, it IS a dragonfly."

He smiled a smile that said he knew some special secret. "Yep, and it's purple."

My favorite color is purple.

We watched him zip around the yard four or five times, making a big circle around the two of us.

And then he was gone and Sam and I smiled at each other.

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...