Monday, July 04, 2005

Such a struggle

My little Sam is struggling so hard with growing up.

A part of him wants desperately to go out and watch the fireworks and be a "big kid." But there is still an overwhelming little kid part of him that is afraid of the "loud noise." So this translates into requests like, "Take me into the kitchen and hold me up so I can see out the window," (to watch the neighbor's display of illegal fireworks) and, "I want to go drive and see fireworks in the van." Presumably, the second request would lead to us driving some distance in order to sit in the van and, at the first boom, listening to him cry and say, "I want to go home."

So we are staying at home and making repeated trips to the kitchen window...and back to the safety of the living room (away from the window). It really is quite adorable. But it is also bittersweet to see my first baby boy growing up right before my eyes.

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...