Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Professionalism

What is is with Democrats? They get into positions of power and then shoot themselves in the foot by doing something utterly and unforgivably stupid. There is no other word to describe it...stupidity seems to run amuck in the Democratic party. The latest Dem to fall from grace...Ohio Supreme Court Justice Alice Resnick.

Drunk driving?!?! You have got to be kidding me!

Now let's forget that the women is 65 and shouldn't be acting like an irresponsible teenager. And let's forget that she makes enough money to buy and sell my measly little assistant prosecutor position several times over (which might be a good idea given our county's current budget crisis). And let's forget that she's a freakin State Supreme Court Justice. Let's just look at the facts...

She says things like...

"You don't have a good reason to stop me."
"It's not right. I was not weaving anywhere. … I really cannot tolerate this."
"This is terribly embarrassing. What are you going to do with me?"
"You are embarrassing me."
"I have not been drinking. You're really infringing on my [pause]. OK, I'm not going to argue."
"I've always said a Supreme Court justice should have a highway patrolman driving them."

She denied having had any alcohol or taken any medication. (She blew more than twice the legal limit.)

She could have killed someone...and this is what comes out of her mouth?!?!

I'm horrified.

A couple years back, when I was just embarking on my legal career, the Ohio Supreme Court felt that new lawyers needed a dose of professionalism and professional responsibility. So they created New Lawyer Training. A two-day program designed to pick up the slack where three years of law school seemed to have failed us in teaching new lawyers how to behave. It has now been my actual experience that new lawyers are the ones who behave the best in and around a courtroom. They're all so scared to do something wrong that they follow the rules to the letter...making sure they cross all the t's and dot all the i's.

However, in my two brief years of actual practice of the law, I have seen more bad behavior from older "experienced" attorneys than I care to admit. I have seen yelling, cursing, name-calling, game-playing, bending the rules, alleged drug abuse, theft of client money...and now drunk driving. I would suggest that perhaps those who have been in the practice of law for a few years should take a refresher course in professionalism and professional responsibility. It appears they need it. My guess would be, however, that as long as the Ohio Supreme Court is filled with those older "experienced" attorneys, young lawyers will continue to take the blame for bad behavior in and around the courthouse.

Perhaps us young Democrats should develop a new party platform? Hmmm...

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...