Monday, October 14, 2019

File this in the unanticipated landmine category...

At Sam's senior portrait session (I KNOW...I can't believe it either)...

...AFTER the small-talk, "So how many kids do you have?" (That I managed to navigate without crying..."Just the two boys.")
G (photographer's husband/assistant): "Oh...you have horses...do you ride?"
Me: "No...we just never finished the training."
G: "How long have you had them?"
Me: "16 years."
G: "OMG...that's hilarious!"
Me: "Well life happened..."
G: "I thought it was like a year or two...max (laughing hysterically)."
Me: (laughing along and suddenly falling down that familiar spiral...thinking...well I was pregnant or recovering from one dead baby delivery or another for several of those years...and then I was so iron-deficient I could barely breathe...but nobody gave a fuck because they just chalked it up to my being depressed and fat...so...)
"Hey Sam...smile!"

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...