Friday, November 14, 2008

Miscellaneous thoughts

-----------------------------------
Let's start out this week with a huge CONGRATULATIONS to my brother-in-law for successfully defending his MFA thesis!
-----------------------------------
It is just wrong that they have used Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer in an Aflac commercial. So wrong.
-----------------------------------
Veteran's Day holiday...I should be reading transcripts but I'm not. I'm drinking coffee, watching Boston Legal, and crocheting. Love it!
-----------------------------------
So parent-teacher conference went well. I wasn't in the mood to deal with a first grade teacher, so I sent Steve. He brought home a good report. The teacher said Sam could be the class valedictorian if he keeps up at his current pace. No pressure or anything. lol!

Steve had a heart to heart talk with the teacher and she acknowledged that she knows Sam is bored in class. She's going to try to challenge him with more difficult work. I'm not entirely satisfied with that answer. Though she says he is not a disturbance to the rest of the class, I don't think it's too far of a leap from bored...so I'm still worried.
-----------------------------------
Myles suffered his second blood-inducing injury on Tuesday...knocking his nose on the baby gate. Just two in the first year isn't a bad record, if I do say so myself. And I haven't even had to resort to wrapping him in bubble wrap!
-----------------------------------
Don't know if I can swing it yet or not...but...

BlogHer '09 In Real Life
-----------------------------------
This is pretty cool...
Create a Folgers Holiday Gift Container
-----------------------------------
I have NO IDEA what to get Myles for his first birthday. It seems Toys R Us has exploded in my house at some point and we no longer NEED a single toy...we've got 'em all. Of course, I KNOW I could give him a cardboard box and Myles would be happy. But I want to give him SOMETHING!
-----------------------------------
Washburn's Old Fashioned Christmas candies make me smile because they remind me of my grandma at Christmastime.
-----------------------------------
If your knitting is for the birds, consider making sock-sweaters for the parrots at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. You can also buy socks and donate them...but I thought the knitting idea was great for my friends who, like me, may have tried sock knitting and came away with something that resembled a sock but wasn't really wearable.
-----------------------------------
Dogs like Jeffrey break my heart. Won't you help out if you can? Donate a dollar or two?
-----------------------------------

2 comments:

Shinny said...

You know, we could always do our own convention in Boringtown. ;) I have cats and dogs and kids, so you would feel right at home. Then we could sneak down and look in the window at the hotel where the real party is going on.

Hennifer said...

Now is a great time to buy Myles some books. You can start stocking up on really great board books. The new few more months you will be reading to him but soon he will be able to look at the books himself (not that he can't already but he may still be inclined to put them in his mouth) Not that bored books can't handle that either... I hope you get what I mean.

But he really will be happy with a wrapped box... We always got my son lame things like bonds, deposits to his savings, new cute clothes or socks or shoes (when they aren't really needed it can be fun to splurge on the really CUTE stuff...

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...