Thursday, November 06, 2008

Don't pat yourself on the back too much

"Barack Obama elected first black president"

On the same day that that headline ran on the front page of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, California, a place that my mother and I fondly refer to as "the land of fruits and nuts," passed a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage (I'm ashamed to say that Ohio already has one)...and I read this post by Niobe.

I still have a dream.

Maybe some day.

But I know today is not that day.

1 comment:

ms. G said...

I know. As a California girl, I am sooooo deeply disappointed that this passed. I'm ashamed that so many Californians swallowed the fear tatics that were being used to sell it (like, "Gayness will be taught in schools whether you like it or not!) Yes, that was a commericial in rotation before the election.

*Sigh*

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...