Thursday, October 30, 2008

A hypothetical

So let's assume the following fact scenario...

You own a house, a barn/garage, a hay barn, and smaller barn on 4.2 acres of property outside of the nearest village/city. It's about a mile away from the new high school in one direction. It's less than a mile away from a landfill in another direction. Landfill attorneys have approached your boss about your "conflict of interest" and, in no uncertain terms, threatened your job. You recently put a lot of work into renovating the house, but still have a lot of finish work to complete on the inside. Your home is "overvalued" as the current economic crisis has defined that term. You love your home but realize it is time to get the hell out of Dodge. The home selling market is for shit. The home buying market is fabulous. You can not afford two mortgages at the same time.

What do you do? Any creative suggestions out there?

I swear, life was easier when mom and dad figured out all this grown-up stuff for me.

3 comments:

Jillian said...

You know what? I am just so sorry this is happening to you. It's a very big deal and it sucks :(

How is the rental market? Is there a possibility of being able to rent your property to horse people perhaps who might use your place as a business rather than a home?

Oh - and I hope karma bites those landfill attorneys on the arse - or dumps a load of garbage behind their back fences.

Aurelia said...

I'm sorry, I can't believe they said that to your boss! What assholes!

Jillian had a pretty good idea...what about trying that? Or a total redevelopment of the property?

Kiddie tours of the animals and farm, etc...high school training courses.

Arggh, or you can go all the way to shitty choice #5 and sell it for industrial use/extended landfill?

Ann Howell said...

Sorry, I've got no helpful answers, but I just wanted to chime in with my support. My parents had a shopping center built on the edge of their land several years ago (after they fought and lost a zoning battle) -- not quite as bad as a landfill, obviously, but it changed their ability to enjoy their property (with noisy delivery trucks going in and out of the place at all hours, etc.) It's a crappy situation, but I hope you find a way out that you're happy about.

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...