Tuesday, September 09, 2008

What inspires you?

As I drove to work the other morning, I saw the same four Percherons I see every morning out in the same field where I always see them. Only this morning, there was a fog just lifting from the field and they stood there seemingly surrounded by a cloud...and I felt inspired. I was sad I hadn't brought my camera with me because the urge to take advantage of the photo opportunity was almost overwhelming. It would have been a beautiful shot...

I've had a hard time writing recently. Mostly because I don't know what to write about. I'm not a creative writer and have, to be honest, always dreaded creative writing assignments. I would break out in a cold sweat in school when the English teacher would announce creative writing time. I am, I have discovered, an emotional writer. I write from a place of passion...writing with abandon about those things I care most deeply about...censoring out all the "irrelevant" bits of my life (I figure the drudgery of my life is enough while I'm living it that I don't want to re-hash it in words that will record it forever). When the writing comes easy it is because I don't have to think about what I want to say. It just happens because I am inspired.

So I'm left with the question...what inspires me to write today? Like those grand horses in the mist, I'm on the lookout for those moments that inspire me to form words into sentences and air it all out in the open.

I forgot my lunch...not much inspiring about that.

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...