Monday, February 04, 2008

Different perspective

She said, "Oh, they're so tiny...I just love those little baby noises they make."

I sighed and said, "Yeah, it's so cute when I'm trying to figure out what the heck he wants."

She smiled (she has three kids) and said, "I guess it's different when you can just see them as babies without that filter of every little sound being a demand for something from you."

So I have slowed down quite a bit and have started to really pay attention to the little sounds...the little faces...the little moments.

Sometimes the little baby sounds and little baby movements need to be appreciated just for what they are instead of feeling stressed because a demand is being put upon me in a language I can't understand.

The cost of a screamfest is really a reward...a priceless snuggle against my cheek...the feeling of his little body relaxing against mine as he realizes his mama holds him safe.

As long as I remember this perspective I can keep smiling...even when I'm so tired I feel like my face is going to fall off.

2 comments:

Awake said...

What a great perspective. I've been following your blog for awhile now, just lurking, not commenting (gotta love that right). Anyway, I always learn something and today was no different. Enjoy listening . . .

Shinny said...

So it is ok that I sit and hold Marjorie all day and just look at her and let the laundry pile up? You made me cry with this post my dear because it is so true, the time goes too fast and we have to enjoy these little bundles while they will let us.

Too soon they will be 14 and not able to tell us they love us or give us hugs when we drop them off at school.

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...