Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I needed what they couldn't give

I have recently been on a not-so-fun trip down memory lane. Though I have really tried hard not to 'dwell,' I guess it's inevitable, given the time of year and the hilarity these sorts of 'anniversaries' bring with them. I was also recently asked about what I "can't stand" (other than the obvious) about my particular situation having lost two babies. At first it was all too easy to lash out and find fault. I could list a zillion things other people have said, done, not said, or not done, that have driven me mad with anger, frustration, and disappointment. But there has always been this nagging feeling that that wasn't what actually bothered me.

Today I took some time to reconnect with some old friends. And what I discovered was this...it is ME that I can't stand. I can not stand that I spend all my time on edge...waiting to be hurt or sad or defensive...anticipating the next careless comment or insensitive remark. Quite simply, I don't trust people anymore.

I suppose it is quite reasonable that I should be wary of other people given the sensitivity that dead babies tend to create in a mother's soul. But really, the thing that bothers me is not the careless comments or the insensitive remarks. I can usually forgive those because I know they come from well-meaning, albeit naive, hearts and souls. No...the thing that really bothers me is my own internal expectation of disappointment. I can still enjoy the company of others, but I'm always holding my breath...fearing that moment when a misdirected comment will inflict pain. It's as if I always reserve a piece of me now in some weird attempt to protect my heart.

Nobody can fix that. Even if they say all the right things I will always hold that bit of myself back. Waiting. Fearing. Crying. Alone.

3 comments:

DD said...

I just had a similar discussion with my husband after I relayed what yet again, was another insensitive or ignorant comment, and he didn't even blink. He didn't understand why it bothered me.

I KNOW that people aren't out there just waiting to spring something on me. Instead, I find fault in every word and action because if I can make them feel like crap for doing so, it means I'm less alone in my misery.

M said...

"...but I'm always holding my breath...fearing that moment when a misdirected comment will inflict pain..."

I couldn't have said it any better myself...

Julia said...

My close friends have been really good, and I am mostly at ease around them. But I have decided that if random people are going to say stupid things, I am not going to let it go. My thinking is that they have already hurt me, so the least I can do for "the team" is to educate the blabberer, so maybe they won't say something that idiotic to the next grieving person. I am not good at coming up with zingers on the spot, so I thought up a few ahead of time for those commonly said idiotic things, and am, therefore, always ready.

Which also means I am always bracing, but it seems I am not alone in that.

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...