Saturday, March 10, 2007

It was just a dog

The little beagle mama-to-be was headed from an animal shelter in Indiana to a rescue in New York state. She was skinny, and Sam said she looked, "so confused." She definitely had that "shelter dog look," so it shocked me when she climbed right up in my lap and snuggled in for the ride.

I hugged her gently and petted her head, even sneaking a kiss or two in despite her horrible shelter dog smell. We were snuggled so close, I could feel her puppies in her belly, squirming and kicking for space against my empty belly.

I couldn't help but imagine that things were different...

But she went on to rescue and I'm still stuck here in this place.

1 comment:

Julie said...

{{{hugs}}}

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...