Wednesday, June 14, 2006

We are officially bereaved parents

I never thought I'd see the day I attended a support group. I never thought I'd see the day I'd sign up for a Compassionate Friends Conference, as a bereaved parent no less. I never thought a lot of things. Why? Because I thought I was "above all that." Nothing bad could touch me. Nothing could tarnish the shiny perfect life that had fallen into my lap. I hadn't done anything to earn it. I'm nobody special. And I HAD thought many many times about how lucky I was. But it never occurred to me that I could be just as unlucky as I had been lucky.

But here we are. We attend a support group. And I just signed us up for the Compassionate Friends National Conference in July (the early registration discounted rate expires tomorrow).

But, lest you think it's all "heavy" stuff, we chose a hotel with room service and a pool so that we can spoil ourselves and Sam just a little bit. Provided the conference isn't too emotionally taxing, I think we may just have...dare I say it?...fun. (gasp)

-------------------------------------------

It occurs to me that the majority of the things I post here are those things that nobody wants to hear...so that's why I post them...this is my safe place to put all that stuff. But there ARE good things and there ARE good people around us. And I'm going to try to make an effort to talk about the good stuff from here on out too. Not because I think it will change MY attitude all that much. But because I don't want you to think I'm all gloom and doom. And I have to preserve my self image at all cost. lol

3 comments:

Becci said...

LOL I think about my self-image more than I should! Hope the conference is a good time for your family and that you come away from it feeling like it was worth it.

Emma's Mum said...

I never thought I would be in this club either. Today I told someone that I lost my child, and I felt like someone else was speaking. Not me....
I hope the conference goes well for you. You have so much to share (good and bad!) -- and I am grateful to know you. You have really helped me...Thank you.

Shinny said...

I hope the conference is fun, dare I say the word?

Know that your loyal readers understand that you have been through a nightmare and just the fact that you are still with us and even worried about us thinking that of you is amazing. This is your safe place to post what you need to in order to keep moving forward. We love you know matter what and obviously you haven't scared us away yet.
Take care of you and your family first and worry about us blog readers later. We won't leave you dear.

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...