Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Say goodbye to Everwood

I hated this show. I called it the "teenage angst" show. But my husband loved it, so we watched it...at least until our lives became so much like a television drama that we swore off anything but comedy. Truth be told, I only hated the show because it hit a little too close to home on more than one occasion (I cried at least once during every episode). It was GOOD television...and there just isn't enough good television these days.

But Everwood got caught in the business of the WB combining with another network...and got the axe. While watching the series finale last night, I couldn't help but remember a scene...a season finale from last year maybe...
where Harold, the high-and-mighty-but-loveably-insecure-small-town-doctor, went into the hospital bathroom to pray for his wife who was undergoing surgery for a brain tumor. It was one of those scenes like the scene in Steel Magnolias where Shelby says she'd, "rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special." It resonated with me...and still does. Maybe it was just a good performance...maybe it is just good writing...but I can't help but FEEL something about it. And I always blog when I feel something...good or bad or indifferent.

If you don't mind Lord, a word. I know you're bottomless and infinite and the problems of individual souls are quite beyond your purview, but...try to see it from my side. When I pray to you, I am fair. I don't ask for favors, intervention. I only you for the strength to do right on my own, or the wisdom to make good choices. I never ask you for anything for myself. Well, I am today. I want you to guide his hands. I want you to guide whatever cells in her body have to fight or die or do whatever they must so this cancer dies, taking nothing with it. I'm asking you, God. Fix this. Make her better. I offer you no promises or trades, bartering my years for hers...I'm just asking. Go ahead, cast stones at me for my impudence...cast a boulder, I don't care. You fix this.

I don't really know what the point is of this post. But I felt like I should post it anyway. Maybe I'm on the verge of a major breakthrough...or breakdown. Maybe I'm just going to miss a silly television show. Who knows.

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...