Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Oh my gosh...honesty in reporting!

Have you seen the story about the lawsuit over the gender predictor kit?

Here's the ABC story.

But this is the part I LOVED...

Another important issue to consider is that all pregnancies naturally carry a 20 percent miscarriage rate, said Dr. Henry Klapholz, chairman of obestrics and gynecology at MetroWest Medical Center in Framingham, Mass., and a professor at Harvard Medical School.

"At five weeks, quite frankly, you don't know if a pregnancy is 'good,'" Klapholz said. "It's bad enough to think you're going to have a baby because of a positive pregnancy test. Now couples will imagine a baby, then the gender of baby, then the name of the baby — this could be potentially more devastating than a miscarriage."


[emphasis mine]

It's BAD ENOUGH to think you're going to have a baby because of a positive pregnancy test?!?! I'm just busting a gut laughing here.

6 comments:

MB said...

And finally some truth. Good find Catherine! Thanks for posting that!

lorem ipsum said...

If your biggest thought is whether it's a boy or a girl, you truly are sheltered or superficial. What I always want to know is not whether it's a boy or girl, but whether it's alive or dead.

SWH said...

I liked this too! I've always sort of wondered about the HPTs that test 5 days before your period is due for similar reasons. Is it really helpful for most people to know they may be pregnant for a few days, instead of just having a period that is a couple of days late. But because the product is there it's incredibly tempting to use... because waiting can be pretty hard.

cat said...

"This could be potentially more devastating than a miscarriage" *grumble*

Hey mister... the miscarriages were pretty damn devastating gender or no gender.

pengo said...

That's a good one. Getting pregnant. I hate that.

Lisa P. said...

"I always tell my patients, don't plan on a pregnancy until you have a fetal heartbeat; otherwise, the outcome could be terribly disappointing," Klapholz continued." To test so early would be unwise."

DAMN!!! Why didn't anyone tell me this SOONER?? I could have avoided all that silly stuff that happened last year.

Meh. Glad he's not my doc.

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...