Tuesday, December 06, 2005

For the record...

I NEVER said mommy bloggers were shallow or anything of the sort. And I didn't mean to ridicule (pay attention here Mom) or make fun. My point...in case you missed it...is that it's all about BALANCE.

What I said is I AM BORED with all the mommy blather that means nothing. I AM BORED with reading about Johnny's escapades in potty training or how busy the soccer schedule is or...blah, blah, blah. I'm not ridiculing PEOPLE. These are their lives...and more power to them for having happy lives. I'm simply bored with reading BLOGS that don't actually SAY ANYTHING beyond what you can find in a Hallmark greeting card.

I am bored with the seemingly endless stream of nothingness out there. And maybe (and I think I said this), the problem is just that there are so many out there. My problem is that I read Person A's blog on Monday and then read virtually the same thing on Person B's blog on Wednesday. It's boring TO ME. And I would love to know what motivates these women to write (And don't think I haven't noticed that there is a distinct LACK of men who blog...about their children or anything else).

Sure, I have the option not to read these types of blogs. And, if you're paying attention, you'll notice that the majority of my blogroll does NOT include these types of blogs. The blogs I read are written by people I consider to be smart and funny and wise beyond their years (for one reason or another). I was merely commenting on the phenomenon that is "mommy blogging." (And if you doubt it's a phenomenon, try a Yahoo search for "Mommy blog" and you'll get 4,380,000 results...Holy sh!t that's a lot of mommies).

No, I don't understand it. I don't understand why mommies blog about the constant sweetness of being a mommy as though their experience is original and their insight into the beauty of motherhood is some new revelation they must share with the blogosphere. I don't understand how their lives seem completely without balance...all happy and no sad...all good and no bad. And IF they do mention anything bad, it is usually in passing and then they move on to the next happy mommy story. (Society's obsession with "moving on" at work here, perhaps?) Why blog if you're only going to share the good? Why all the sunshine and roses? Is it an effort to convince themselves? Are they simply hiding from something? Maybe their lives are perfect and I'm just one of the unfortunate few to have a shitload of unhappy things to write about. But somehow I doubt it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I JUST posted on this re: your posts. That same thought has been brewing in my head. I still agree. You just want more SUBSTANCE. I hear you.

Rach

Kathy McC said...

I just think a lot of folks can't handle the reality of life and the shit it deals out. My mother is a prime example. I agree with you...the shallow crap gets me sick too.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I stand corrected darlin heart (actually I'm sitting cause I'd break my neck if I tried to stand and type all at the same time but I digress....) I re-read and you're right, you're bored.
Sorry, I really misunderstood. You still worry me, but then again, I've been worried about you most of your life - just like you worry about Sam etc. etc. etc. Their lives aren't perfect - trust me in this - and if they ARE perfect, well hell, how boring. Ummm, I think this is where I came in...
Love Mom

Jenny said...

We heard a lot about these fluffy mommybloggers when I co-led the mommyblogging panel at the BlogHer conference last year. My co-hosts and I have launched a new site at mommybloggers.com to redefine the label - we aren't all sunshine and roses. Come check us out, and I'd be interested to hear your suggestions.

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...