Friday, October 14, 2005

Boss' day lunch

I sat there today and silently ate my lunch...with the woman who gave birth in February, the woman who gave birth in March, the woman who gave birth in July (with her baby), and the man whose new wife is due in February with a boy.

It was ok.

I talked baby stuff with the moms and wished my male coworker congratulations on his wife's pregnancy.

I was ok.

Until someone joked how everyone had had a boy...how the boss should advertise open positions as the way to have a baby boy...a "boy guarantee" of sorts.

I froze.

I couldn't get up and walk out. It would be too obvious.

I couldn't cry. That would elicit pity that I don't need or want.

I couldn't smile and laugh. I felt no joy.

I couldn't look anyone in the eye. I didn't want them to see.

I can now tell you every ingredient in the vegetable lasagna I was eating.

I froze in my chair and searched for some answers in my God damned vegetable lasagna.

Guess what?

There are no answers in the vegetable lasagna.

And there are no guarantees.

10 comments:

cat said...

Crap... sending you some internet hugs and wishing they were real live ones.

((hugs))

Julie said...

Thinking of you.

laura said...

what is wrong with those people??????

i hope the lasagna was good, because that would be the only redeeming value to that lunch.

Anonymous said...

Forget the standard sexual harrassment training video; these people need just plain old SENSITIVITY training!

I'm so sorry they were so insensitive to you, especially after you were trying so hard to make chit chat with them.

Sweet Coalminer said...

>:-|

I don't know for sure, but I think I would have just gotten up and left.

Anonymous said...

Well, no, of course there aren't any answers in the vegetable lasagna. The answers are in the fortune cookies. Everyone knows that. Nevermind that they're rubbish answers...

Heather said...

Oh my. :( What a bunch of morons. I wanted to melt into the floor just reading about that lunch, I can't imagine how you felt having been there. (((((HUGS))))))

Jillian said...

What the?? I so hope karma exists and that it is instant for them. I am so sorry you suffered through that. People are so stupid...I cannot believe not one person realised what was going on:( (((hugs)))

lorem ipsum said...

I hate them for you. I'm full of a lot of hatred these days; might as well spread it around to some deserving people.

SWH said...

I hate the frozen feeling... Hugs.

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...