Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Yay or Nay...how do they decide?

I don't often talk politics on this blog because I know we all have our own opinions and I haven't really had much room in my brain for debate on anything of substance. But I have to step up on my soapbox for just a moment and ask about the motivations of politicians when it comes to animal rights legislation. I just don't get it. It doesn't seem to be about party affiliation. Is it really about whether they are good guys or not (and I use the term guys because both Senators from Ohio are guys).

The final vote on the Ensign-Byrd amendment was 68-29 in favor of ending horse slaughter by withholding funds for federal inspectors in horse slaughterhouses and at the borders. The House of Representatives passed the same amendment in June voting overwhelmingly in support of the Sweeny-Spratt-Rahall-Whitfield amendment (269-158).

Mike Dewine voted yea. George Voinovich voted nay. Both Republican. Both from Northern Ohio. So why the different votes? I have opinions about George Voinovich...could it be that I've been right about him all along?

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...