Saturday, September 10, 2005

My interests aka What I've been doing other than grieving

~Animal rescue - I'm involved in two ways. First, as a driver. I take a relay leg of a transport to drive animals from kill shelters to rescues. I recently was fostering a dalmatian who was adopted by a great couple...yay for her! We won't be fostering anymore because we have a testy black lab mix who has trouble adjusting to strange dogs in his pack.
Second, I work as a coordinator. I set up relay transports for animals who need a ride from point A to point B. Usually, this is for animals going from kill shelters to rescues or from rescues to forever homes. Lately, I have been lending my services to animals who are victims of Hurricane Katrina. Basically, I break up the route into legs and network among rescue people to find drivers to fill the run. It's not that hard, since I spend a lot of time on the computer anyway. And I love to talk to animal people...we're like minded so it's a pleasant experience.

~Crafting - I joined a crafting for charity program on Yahoo groups. We have monthly projects for which we crochet, knit, or sew things. This month is Caring for Canadians...a project for hospital babies in Canada. I'm making sweater/hat/booties sets and boy burial garments in honor of my Alex. This is rewarding...but I think Steve is wondering how he suddenly got to be surrounded by skeins and skeins of yarn and yards and yards of fabric. lol

~Mystery shopping - I signed up as a mystery shopper and will take on my first assignment later this month. Eating out for free...how great is that?!?!

~Memories of Mariam - I'm just getting started, but I plan to lend my services sending out bracelets and certificates to families who have lost babies. After some time, I hope to be able to lend support as well...when I'm emotionally ready.

~Cleaning and playing - Probably my two most important pastimes these days. :o)

***Thanks to Lauralu for giving me the idea to post this.***

2 comments:

Jillian said...

It's nice to officially meet the 'rest' of you:)

laura said...

glad someone is benefitting from my inertia.

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...