Friday, May 06, 2005

My first "real" Mother's Day

My amazing, gorgeous, wonderful son came home yesterday with a potted viola for me for Mother's Day. He presented it to me with the biggest smile on his face I have ever seen.

"Look what I made for you Mommy. I painted it and I put dirt in it with my hands," he proclaimed proudly. Then he gave me a "biiiiiig hug" and a kiss on both cheeks.

I cried. (And I'm crying now as I type this)

I must admit that I never got it until now. Up until that particular moment in time, Mother's Day was a complete mystery. I know I love my mom...and I hope she knows it too. But, like with most aspects of being a mommy, I didn't really GET IT. I went through the motions every year, not because I truly understood it, but because Hallmark dictated that I should.

Now I get it.

I love you Mommy!

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...