Monday, April 04, 2005

A very important lesson

This weekend our son learned a very important lesson. Ask him about his trip to McDonald's Playland and he will tell you about the boy who didn't know how to share the slide. It was a hard lesson to watch him learn, as this other child climbed over him and told him to "get out of the way." James (what his mother called him from across the room...without getting up or even trying to stop him from misbehaving) apparently has no boundaries. And Sam looked over at me from the bottom of the slide and said, "Mommy, he's not sharing." As the "confrontation" became physical, Sam came running over, tears in his eyes, saying, "He's not sharing, he's not sharing, he's not sharing." I had to explain that some children don't know how to share. And when Sam followed up with the inevitable, "Why?" I replied, loudly enough for the mother-of-the-year to hear, "Well, maybe his mommy didn't teach him how to share or be nice to others." I'm afraid the lesson was lost on that mommy. But Sam learned a lesson that I hope he remembers for a long time. You can hope that others will be reasonable and responsible, but don't bet on it.

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...