Thursday, March 17, 2005

Happy St. Snowman's Day

Today is the day reserved for the wearing of the green. Other than this day, I don't really know of another holiday that calls for wearing a particular color. Oh sure, you can get carried away and wear red and green for Christmas, or orange and black for Halloween, or red, white and blue for July 4th...but those are the "cutesie" holidays that don't really require any true allegiance. And with a name like "C," you can imagine the fun we could have with an Irish holiday in our household. Of course, I'm a "B" by birth...but I live vicariously through my husband's lineage at times such as these. And it appears that I am the only one in my household who does celebrate that family history.

This morning, Steve dressed in a gray shirt and blue jeans. Not a speck of green on him. When I questioned his not wearing green he said, "Do I even have anything green?" Now, we have been through this every year on this holiday for the past, oh, ten years or so. And since I didn't sleep well last night my reply was less than understanding this year. My comeback? "I don't know...I'm not in charge of your wardrobe inventory." I know it was lame...but what can you do when you're pregnant and hoping for a little enthusiasm from anyone in your house?

So, of course, my next step after a nice relaxing shower, was to convince my husband that he should dress our son in green. Our son...who normally could care less what he wears. Our son...who has apparently developed a mind of his own. Our son...who adamantly refused to wear the green clothes today in favor of "the snowman" sweatshirt I bought him for Christmas pictures.

I give up.

Happy St. Snowman's Day!

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...