Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Riding the John Kerry wave?

Do you think that my county, who voted for John Kerry in the last Presidential election, would vote for a 1/2% sales tax increase in order to maintain safety/security/justice services?

It seems our county is a couple million short when it comes to paying everyone they have on staff. The options for my office currently are:
1. Everyone take a 40% pay cut.
2. We work at current levels and run out of money in September, so we shut down the office.
3. We fire almost half our staff (8-9 people)...myself included.

The county-wide option is for our commissioners to unanimously vote to put a 1/2% sales tax increase on the March ballot. It would then obviously need to be passed by the general electorate.

Why, oh why, do I not have a good feeling about this? First, one commissioner has made it clear that his political stance prevents him from voting to even put the issue on the ballot. WTF?!?! His politics is going to cost me my job! But he gets to drive his county car to and from work every day, so I guess it doesn't matter to him that I'll have to work at McDonald's to make my house payment. Oh wait a minute...the McDonald's nearest us just closed its doors and sold its golden arches because they weren't doing good enough business. Now what the hell do I do?

Oh and yeah...Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Mommies Esq1 said...

Oh dear my friend.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...