Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Miscellaneous thoughts

---------------------------------------
Seriously love these.
---------------------------------------
I heard the six year old ask the baby, "Do you see a butt crack up there Myles?" I have no idea why...and I'm not gonna ask.
---------------------------------------
I did not finish The Audacity of Hope.

I did finish sTori Telling.

(hangs head in shame)
---------------------------------------
It has been a tough week.

I sent Myles' 3-6 month baby clothes to a friend.
I attended the baby shower of my coworker (due at the end of February).
And my "puppy," Rory, has been sick.

He's feeling all better now and there are no more baby-related activities planned for my near future, thank goodness. Next week should be much better.
---------------------------------------
The six year old is walking around wearing a box around his middle (like one might wear a barrel...if one were into barrel apparel). The husband just asked him if he's ready to go down Niagra Falls. *sigh*
---------------------------------------
In 1997 the Ohio Supreme Court held the school funding system unconstitutional. Now, Governor Strickland is supposedly addressing the issue. Now I listened to his speech...and I heard a lot of great ideas. I appreciate ideas and the willingness to make changes where changes are needed. But I didn't hear any concrete plans on how all these changes are going to happen. How is this all going to be paid for? Our local schools are already struggling financially. I'm not sure another unfunded mandate is going to help at all.

And the funding issue as it applies to my family...*sigh*...That fabulous money-generating landfill they have in our township...it will prevent us from seeing ANY increase in our state funding under a new education funding plan. I guess I'm supposed to be glad we're not a burden to the rest of the state. But the facts are that there is going to be a big ugly landfill in our township and we're going to continue to have sucky schools (though we are currently the best of all the sucky schools around). Lovely. Well planned by our elected officials, don't ya think?

Some of the ideas, I really liked...
Getting rid of the graduation test in favor of the ACT...like that. Longer school day...like that.

But given the state of my son's boredom at school right now, I do not see how keeping him in school for an additional 20 days each year is going to make a positive difference in his education. If anything, I fear it will make him resent school even more than he already does (or resent his parents even more for being unable to pay to send him to private school).
---------------------------------------
My layperson opinion is that the Republican plan has some good ideas AND "the President's plan" has some good ideas. I just do NOT understand why my elected officials can't work together to synthesize the two half-good plans into one really good plan.
(note: both of those were the unrevised versions...both have undergone changes that I don't have the time to locate at this moment)
---------------------------------------
My mom sent me this link. The song sucks musically...but the concept is a good one.
---------------------------------------
I'm applying for a job that I really really really would like to have. It would require a LOT of change in my life. Fear could prevent me from even applying. But I refuse to let fear run my life.
---------------------------------------
The granny squre afghan I've been working on since the end of 2006...is being sewn together. Imagine! A finished project! My heart is all a flutter at the mere thought!

---------------------------------------
Sam is practicing soccer in the house, in direct violation of the rules. Why break the rules for something he supposedly hates?

Sam: "In case I decide to sign up for this year."

This kid is going to drive me bonkers.
---------------------------------------
I always get a little pang when someone I know and love "counts their blessings" because it usually contains a recitation of everyone's name and the good status of their health. "We're all here and we're all healthy." I can only say that 50% of my kids are here and healthy. OK...so I guess it's more than just a little pang. How f*cked up.
---------------------------------------

No comments:

Mom

My mom insisted on living independently. She wanted to live in the two-story house she and my dad built in the 70s, despite the fact that da...