Wednesday, August 16, 2006

As if this day couldn't get any better

9:00 PM Cathy's cell rings. It is her mother. One of our dogs took off into the woods across the street and won't come home.

***So I fly home (an hour drive in forty minutes...yes mom, I was speeding...sue me) and stand in the darkness in the driveway and yell and yell and yell. I THINK I hear the dog barking in the distance, but no sightings. Could be him, could just be a neighbors dog enjoying the game (I yell, he barks back, and on and on and on). I can't very well pull on my hip waders and walk around in the unfamiliar dark forest by myself. So after a brief meltdown, I pull myself together, manage to let at least a couple of the dogs outside (though I'm not sure now, looking back on it, that I let them ALL out...that's going to be a lovely mess when we get home), fed and watered the horses, and barely managed to stay awake to get back to the hospital.

But walking in, my heart was suddenly lighter when I heard a little voice say, "Daddy! Mommy's back!" I miss the dog, but God I love that kid.

4 comments:

Holley said...

Hugs.

Bronwyn said...

So glad Sam is alright! Thank god for Thomas the Tank Engine and Bob the Builder :) Hope he makes a full recovery ASAP!

Sherry (Hallesmom) said...

I hope Sam is feeling much better today. Hopefully the dog will come home on his/her own today.

Hedda said...

No matter how bad things get kids always make them better.

I hope everyone is doing better today.

Hugs.