Friday, October 28, 2005

Philistine, who....me

Finally, a word that I have no problems with, as long as it doesn't describe me. Webster's defines a philistine as "a person who is guided by materialism and is usually disdainful of intellectual or artistic values."

Halloween is going to be celebrated at my company this Monday, and rather than participate in my team's group theme of Seinfield, in which I was asked to play George (probably because I have rage issues), and watch my co workers bring all of their children in for trick or treat, I have decided to take the day off and avoid what will surely be a depressing experience for me. I will still take Sam to the in-laws for trick-or-treating that night(We live on a very busy road), I wouldn't want to take anything away from him.

I don't like flavorful food, I like well cooked plain meat. When I go to Mickey Dees I have to have my burger plain, just cheese on it. I don't eat fruits and veggies, except for corn, apples, and tomatoes (if it is on my pizza(a meat lovers pizza)). I don't like most music made after 1985, I don't like going to concerts or the theater, I just like to lay in a dark room with my headphones on listening to classic rock from the 70's and 80's. I don't like shopping for myself, unless it is to look at big high def TVs and I Pods. I like to watch football and baseball on TV, but I don't care much for the experience of going to the game. Once in a while is OK, but if it was a game that I cared about, I would rather watch it on TV, than be distracted by what 40,000 other people are doing. I'm not much for talking to strangers, although I seemed to do OK and Justin and Laura's party.

But I am not a Philistine...... Am I?

3 comments:

Catherine said...

yep...but I love you anyway.

Catherine said...

And there is absolutely nothing Phillistine about protecting your heart and taking a break from all the happy parent-child moments that will surely occur on Monday. We will enjoy our little Thomas the Tank Engine and try not to think about what should have been enough without having to be reminded.

Jill said...

Hmmm, could be.....;) But I doubt you would get away with it at your house for very long!

Being that you like Ipods and 70s and 80s music, you should look into 'LimeWire.com'. You download a shareware program and get the free version, say that you won't violate any copywrite agreements and you will find every obsure 70s and 80s mp3 you can imagine - free.

Just cos you like some stuff that you could live without doesn't necessarily make you a philistine:)